Top Equipment Recommended by American Ninja Warrior Jesse Labreck
We sat down with American Ninja Warrior’s Jesse “Flex” Labreck to discuss which 5 Hampton Fitness products she thinks are essential to a home gym. Here are her top picks to consider when building your home gym.
1. Jump Box
Are you looking to take your workout literally to the next level? The HeroStrength® “Jump” Box will help increase your stamina by repeating explosive exercises and height-challenging movements. With the clever idea of a 3-in-1 plyometric box, this great space-saving box is the perfect tool to introduce beginners to plyometrics, preventing any risk of injury with its soft, high-density foam and anti-slip surface.
You simply flip the box to create three different configurations, helping you move towards your desired fitness goals. We designed it to absorb the impact of the exercises on the members’ joints and protect the shins from injuries caused by miscalculations or missteps. With these obstacles removed, you can feel confident as you tackle your workouts like a real ninja warrior!
The box shows measurements in BOTH inches and centimeters. Weighing in at approximately 88 LBS makes this versatile box extremely stable. This baby won’t tip over!
The box jump can boost your athletic performance and improve your tendon, muscle, and cardiovascular health. Get ready to crush that ninja warrior course!
To perform a jump box:
1) Stand in front of a box with feet hip-width apart, arms raised in front of the chest, elbows slightly bent, and hands in front of the face.
2) Bend knees slightly and swing arms down and behind the body, then press through the floor to jump onto the box, raising arms in front of the chest.
3) Land softly on the box with both feet, knees bent at roughly 90-degree angles, and chest proud. Push through feet to straighten legs and return to standing. Lower arms to sides, then step backward off the box one foot at a time.
You, too, can include these jump boxes as part of your daily workouts. Maybe you always thought they were only for an extreme athlete (like a ninja warrior) and that the box could tip or cause injury. With our Hero Strength Jump Boxes, you can smash your workout with the confidence that this piece of equipment can handle anything you give it!
2. Slam Balls
Based on ancient drawings and writings, the “medicine ball” dates back 2,000 years to Ancient Greece. Spartan warriors would train with animal bladders stuffed with sand. Since then, medicine balls have been used in one form or another to build health, strength, and resistance training. The HeroStrength® Slam Ball develops power, strength, and speed. Whether you’re working your triceps, abdomen, or shoulders (or training for a grueling ninja warrior course!), HeroStrength has the right product for your exercise needs. It helps increase explosive power for athletes in all sports. The HeroStrength Slam Ball has a tough rubber outer shell filled with sand, iron granules, and adjustable air. It can withstand all your powerful slams while increasing your heartbeat and burning calories.
The Slam Ball is available in a wide selection of weights and in bold Blue/Black outer coloring that is resilient to your most brutal slams.
To use the slam ball:
1) Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, a soft bend in the knees, and core engaged while holding a slam ball at your chest with both hands.
2) Rise on your toes and extend your arms overhead, holding the ball.
3) Bend at your hips and slam the ball on the ground directly in front of you. Throw the ball down toward the ground with force. Be careful not to arch your back.
4) Catch the ball on the bounce while lowering back into the squat position.
Slam balls take up very little space and pack a powerful workout. It’s like having five different pieces of equipment in one ball. You can turn a strength-training activity into cardio by kicking up your reps and movement and working your entire body without needing multiple weight-lifting machines that take up so much space!
The Hampton Jelly-Bells® are genuinely one of a kind! They come in 8 different sizes in 8 bright colors, ranging from 2.5 to 25 lbs. They are both beautiful to look at and practical to use – for American Ninja Warriors and regular athletes alike!
- Solid steel core completely encapsulated with translucent polyurethane coating.
- Highly durable, impact-resistant, and non-abrasive coating.
- Very comfortable contoured urethane Gel-Grips®.
- Non-porous surface allows germ-free easy cleaning.
- The translucent urethane coating is backed by the industry’s strongest 5-year commercial warranty.
To do an overhead dumbbell press:
1) Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and a dumbbell in each hand.
2) Bring weights to the front of your shoulders – palms facing out.
3) Keep your core tight, pushing the dumbbells up and extending your arms as you do so.
4) Pause at the top, then release. Bend your elbows, letting the weights come back down to your shoulders.
The Hampton Jelly-Bells are colorful, easy to clean, and a fantastic addition to any home gym. Because they are sorted by color and size, it’s easy to find the one that’s right for your fitness level and brighten up any workout, no matter the season!
You’ve asked for it, and we’ve heard you! Hampton is proud to present its first HeroStrength® J-Bench. This bench is made from heavy-duty, commercial-grade steel and will last a lifetime. It has ten different incline/decline positions ranging from -15° to +85°. The 12″ wide back pad tapers up top to 10″ wide to allow users fully functional bench presses and arm movements during exercise. Both the seat and back pads are firm, durable, and comfortable. The ergonomic steel handle with textured grip and two wheels allow for easy one-handed, non-floor scratching movement of the bench during repositioning or storage when not in use. Our bench comes fully assembled; open the box and remove the protective packaging, and you are ready to go!
Some exercises to consider while using your bench:
- Dumbbell Bench Press: Bench press with dumbbells will work each side of your body independently.
- Incline Dumbbell Bench Press: Try starting with a flat workout bench, then gradually progress to inclines.
- Decline Bench Dumbbell Pull-Over: This works your chest, triceps, and lats with more intensity than the basic version, giving your back and chest muscles a greater amount of stretch while you are moving the dumbbell down behind your head.
- Incline Bicep Curl: The bench workout activates your biceps more than any other arm exercise. It works the long head of your biceps, stretches, and contracts it with more force during the exercise.
- Single-arm dumbbell row: This bench workout engages the entire back and rear shoulders and, to a lesser degree, the arms. By focusing on one arm at a time, you can better isolate the latissimus.
If you want a great bench that is sturdy, dependable, and easy to set up, then you NEED one of our Hampton Fitness J-Benches. Unlock your inner American Ninja Warrior and snag one for your home gym!
5. Battle Rope
If you want to get a cardio run without putting on your running shoes, try getting the full HIIT workout using Battle Ropes by HeroStrength®. These heavy-duty, durable ropes are a MUST-HAVE for those seeking an all-around approach to full-body exercise. Experience what your body can do with these impressive ropes! They are perfect for High-Intensity Interval functional training and are designed with popular measurements of 1.5 inches by 30 or 50 feet. Polypropylene fiber rope and rubber handles make these ropes the complete package for your next HIIT workout.
The most popular battle rope exercise is called The Wave.
This classic exercise will give you a feel for using the battle rope and can be used to build strength and endurance.
1) Grab the battle ropes with a neutral grip and position your body so there is slack in the ropes.
2) Get into an athletic stance, bend both knees into a small squat, and bring your arms out in front as if holding reins on a horse.
3) Bring your right arm up, flick your wrist like you are throwing the rope up and away, and then bring your right arm down. Bring the left arm up as the right arm comes down and do the same motion. Keep alternating right and left as you create undulating waves down the rope.
Battle ropes take any workout to the next level. They may not look for the faint of heart, but once you get into using these, you won’t be able to put them back down. Use them for cardio…use them for strength…just USE THEM!
Thanks for the advice, Jesse. Obviously, you’re an incredible competitor who knows what she’s talking about, and we love the energy and motivation you bring to young women worldwide. We love watching your continued success as an American Ninja Warrior, and we’re excited to see you shatter records and make history!
When setting up a home gym, you do not need to buy tons and tons of equipment to get a total body workout. If you get Jesse’s recommended five items, you will be well on your way to setting up your home gym with the items that you need to mix up your routine.
Want to catch up with Jesse Labreck’s activities and follow her inspiring story? Connect with her on Instagram and Facebook, or check out her Ninja Warrior Gym site for details on adult & kid classes in Naperville.